District Public Health Improvement Plan Priorities
The 2016-2019 Downeast District Public Health Plan identifies four priorities:
- Cardiovascular Health through Food Security, Nutrition and Physical Activity
- Drug and Alcohol Use
- Behavioral and Mental Health for Children
- Cancer [Secondary Priority]
Subcommittees for these priorities will coordinate Council member and stakeholder organization to advance the ten essential services for public health.*
Emerging Health Opportunities and Threats
* “The 10 Essential Public Health Services describe the public health activities that all communities should undertake and serve as the framework for the NPHPS instruments. Public health systems should
- Monitor health status to identify and solve community health problems.
- Diagnose and investigate health problems and health hazards in the community.
- Inform, educate, and empower people about health issues.
- Mobilize community partnerships and action to identify and solve health problems.
- Develop policies and plans that support individual and community health efforts.
- Enforce laws and regulations that protect health and ensure safety.
- Link people to needed personal health services and assure the provision of health care when otherwise unavailable.
- Assure competent public and personal health care workforce.
- Evaluate effectiveness, accessibility, and quality of personal and population-based health services.
- Research for new insights and innovative solutions to health problem”s.